Are Massage Guns Effective?
Used as a recovery tool, massage guns are gaining in popularity, appearing on social media and touted by celebrities around the world. The goal, as with other self-myofascial release tools, is to keep muscles from getting tight and to ward off delayed onset muscle soreness after a workout. Before you spend the money on a massage gun of your own, it’s a good idea to understand how they work and how they might benefit you. Here’s what you need to know.
How do Massage Guns Work?
It is generally accepted that a massage gun has the same beneficial effects of a deep tissue massage. Massage guns use vibration to apply pressure to muscle tissue, designed to help with myofascial release after an exercise session or a period of repetitive activity. The vibration emitted by a massage gun increases blood flow to the muscles in the treated area, which in turn battles inflammation and tension to prevent knots and soreness. Massage guns can also be used prior to exercise to get the muscles warmed up for the activity.
Benefits of Using a Massage Gun
Massage guns have numerous benefits and not just for athletes and people who regularly work out. They include:
- The convenience of having an appliance at home meaning reduced number of visits to a massage or physiotherapist specialist.
- Tissue metabolism is increased, thereby relieving stress and tension in tired muscles (which leads to a better all-round sense of wellbeing).
- The increased blood and lymphatic circulation reduces the risk of muscle injury and soreness and enables faster repair.
- Effective treatment and prevention of cramp thereby reducing the risk of soreness after cramp.
- Aids with injury or trauma recovery and reduces the risk of re-injury.
- The deep tissue effect can help to break up scar tissue.
- Helps balance the lymphatic system with better blood circulation aiding waste and toxin removal from the body.
Are Massage Guns Effective?
The gun is effective for spot treatments and general areas. They are effective at helping to relieve or reduce risk of injury and soreness to specific areas, but it is generally accepted that they are as effective as other percussive therapies such as deep tissue massage. Their action to reduce soreness, repair tissue, improve circulation and improve mobility combine to provide the user with a greater well-being and greater motivation to maintain health and fitness through exercise.
Massage Gun Safety
If you decide to add a massage gun to your routine, it’s important to do so safely. You should not use the device on an existing injury, such as sprain or muscle tear as this can make it worse and delay proper healing. The best advice when using a massage gun is to stop if you experience any pain. Make sure you follow the manufacturer directions regarding how to safely use your massage gun.
In short, a massage gun can be an effective tool for many purposes but should be used safely and on a regular basis to get the best benefits. There are many massage guns on the market so research your choices so that you can pick the one that best suits your needs.